Most snowfall, season to date: Tamarack loc (Calumet) with 150.9 inches 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) N.E. The best deal I have ever had. (MLive). Yooper Steve on Facebook Become a Subscriber to the FunintheUP Substack page. The frequency of extreme precipitation events has increased. Stevens, S.E. The three winters from 1976-77 to 1978-79 were notable because they all were in the top ten nastiest Michigan winters, and they were back-to-back-to-back. The Great Lakes play an important role in moderating the states climate, causing it to be more temperate and moist than other north-central states. FunintheUP on Instagram, Snow totals for this day are delayed, if you want to current UP Snow Totals (80 locations) join the, Sponsors of FunintheUP, consider their products or services, Snowfall totals will be updated the day it is measured everyday on, Updated UP Snow Totals March 19th, view the most current snow totals at 80 locations in the UP, become a subscriber to. The least amount of snowfall, in the winter of 193031, is 81.30 inches. A climate chart for your city, indicating the monthly high temperatures and rainfall. Yooper Steve on Facebook Now you might want to rank the coldest winters as the year with the coldest actual temperatures. Marine Forecast Weather service data, which has documented snow on the ground at Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus going back to 1958, shows there's been at least an inch of snow on the ground on Dec. 25 only 29 . The map below shows the deviation from average total snowfall. All new yearly subscribers will get 1 free kayak rental($40value) and 10% any additional rentals on kayaks or SUPs in 2023. sub-freezing Temperatures As Low As 30 Expected. Most Snowfall Jan 3rd: Three Lakes (Ruth Lake) with 7.5 inches Since our warm weather warm up I havent seen as many snowmobilers out there on the trails because of the lack of fresh snow, so lets hope that we see a few inches every few days to maintain what we have. The average snowfall that Michigan receives amounts to 64 inches. Snowfall is expected to continue through Sunday, Nov. 20, according Matt Gillen, meteorologist at the National Weather Service. Short term 6-10 day precipitation outlook looks to be about 40% chance and longer term 8-14 days it looks even more bleak with 0% chance. This should boost our snowfall numbers to the 70-inch range for. Michigan and Woodward Avenue in 1880 (Photo by: . Further up the Keweenaw at Copper Harbor winds maintained 50mph+ with gusts up to 71mph. You'll notice some new stations added now, a total of 6 stations are new for 2022/23 season. US Dept of Commerce Yooper Steve on Facebook was last observed at DETROIT - Southeastern Michigan residents are gearing up for a two-day snow storm that is expected to bring 9-12 inches of snow by the end of Thursday. During the last couple days we have seen a handful of stations join the 100 Inch Club, youll see those stations marked in the data table below. The US average is 205 sunny days. And while snow is a familiar concept. Most Snowfall Jan 29th: Downtown Houghton with 11 inches Yooper Steve on Instagram The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. The driest consecutive 5-year interval was 1930-1934, and the wettest was 2016-2020. Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Place name links take you to more detailed information on snowfall, snowstorms and snow accumulation for that location. Yooper Steve on Facebook Season Snowfall Maps Grand Rapids and Saginaw plunged to -22 degrees in January of 1994. Official Snowfall Records for Grand Rapids, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Houghton, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Alpena, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Flint, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Detroit, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Lansing, Michigan, Official Snowfall Records for Marquette, Michigan, Hiniker Plows Provide Innovation and Efficiency, VSI Manufacturing the Finest Liquid De-Icing Equipment in the Industry, V-Plow forTon with Optional Scoop Kit Sure to Impress. There were two small exceptions to that lower snowfall. We offer real-time climate data, weather forecasts, and alerts, as well as information on the best recreation spots nearby. RELATED READING: Remembering the Great Blizzard of 1978, when Michigan took a deadly hit. All the information you need to choose the right ski resort for you in Michigan. Snowfall records are reviewed and updated yearly. This was surely a banner year for snowplow contractors! Climate Normals. Another 25 percent of years receive less than nine inches for the month. Yooper Steve on Facebook Weather Ready Nation Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) --Thank you so much for your support for over the years, Yooper Steve. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. There may be a snow flurry here or there during the evenings as temps drop and the sun goes down. Most snowfall, season to date: Tamarack loc (Calumet) with 124.3 inches It isnt unusual that we see some snow flurries in May and up to Mothers Day, but by this time the on the ground snow has all but disappeared from all but the dark areas of the forests. of normal when compared to it's Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. These snow records are reviewed yearly and updated as new data is recorded. These averages don't show how much Ann Arbor's snowfall varies from year to year. En Espanol Snoflo is the ultimate platform for outdoor enthusiasts and climate-conscious individuals. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) Ironwood#2, The numbers are for the total amount of snow and for how many days it snows at least 0.1 inches (0.25 centimetres). There have been some snowmobile clubs out grooming in the western UP but they are running into a lot of downed trees and lots of standing water that hasnt frozen up yet. If near-average snow falls for the rest of this season, Grand Rapids will have triple-digit totals for the first time since the harsh winter of 2013-2014, when 116 inches fell. Overall the lookout over the next 10-15 days looks to be above normal temperatures so snowfall outlook is not looking good, if we dont see a good January snowfall you can usually forget in seeing that 300 inch mark. Severe Weather Some light snow in the Keweenaw and central UP, a dusting in the eastern UP. Year To Date Plots This wasn't a measurable snowfall, however. Thank you for subscribing to the FunintheUP Yooper Report and your support allows for these snow reports and videos to continue since 2011. Most of the snow fell during three big storms;. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com If I ever get a chance I may try to see what some January lows have been, I know since I have been measuring snowfall since 2010 it is one of the lowest January snowfalls I have seen. Most snowfall, season to date: Tamarack loc (Calumet) with 133.6 inches 1,506 ft., Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo Live Drive on US41 between Calumet and Hancock Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo snowfall in inch Snowfall Sn : 14: 12: 7: 2: 0: 0 Jul Ju Aug Au Sep Se Oct Oc Nov No Dec De; Average high in F Av. He said the utility is trying to get to the point of moving 400 miles of utility lines underground a year over a 10-year period and go up from there, with the ultimate goal of moving about 10,000 . Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Extreme heat is a particular concern for Detroit and other urban areas, where high temperatures combined with high humidity can cause dangerous heat index values, a phenomenon known as the urban heat island effect. Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Marketplace for buyers and sellers. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) These three big events all had a bullseye on Grand Rapids. The Christmas week blizzard alone dropped a full 24.5 inches on Grand Rapids. Average Annual Snowfall in Michigan The tables below give yearly averages for snowfall at cities and other locations around Michigan. Michigan's snowfall has gone in spurts this year. Most snowfall Dec 26th: Newberry with 7 inches Totals 2000-2003 courtesy The Christmas week blizzard of 2022. Observed Snowfall Fox says disease is getting tougher, Veteran opens Painting with a Twist near GR, New Ada Hotel expected to open spring 2024, Proposed bridge part of plan for downtown Wyoming, Outdoor cannabis lounge opens in Muskegon on 4/20, Veterans Memorial Park coffee shop to open in May, A 10-year mystery: The search for Jessica Heeringa, Miscarriage of justice: State fights wrongful conviction, Sign up for email alerts: closings & delays, Severe Weather Alerts on Storm Team 8 App, BestReviews.com - Top gifts to make everyone happy this spring, Drew Barrymores Walmart collection is perfect for, Best Mothers Day gifts for the budding plant mom, Best Mothers Day Gifts for moms obsessed with books, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Yooper Steve on Facebook The first 5 yearly subscribers are the ones who are entered into the drawing. Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo Dashboard. To get to the worst of cold winters we go back to three winters in a row in the 1970s. r r Did you miss todays LIVE Videos on Facebook, well here they are. The most snow was at Keweenaw County snow station with 322.6 inches of snow you can view last years snow totals here. Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Most citizens enjoyed the warmer weather and not having to shove snow which is always a nice break after a rough week of weather, but for those who love winter and rely on winter for their incomes with snow removal or snowmobile traffic then you want as much snow as we can get. For snow and ice contractors, the winter is typically judged by how much money made it into the bank. These are the extremes in weather records for Michigan, a state in the Great Lakes region of the Midwestern United States. Similarly in January, fresh snowfall in the heaviest years amounts to over 31.4 inches, while the lightest years get less than 14.5 inches. 197.1. Today's Notes: Contact me to claim your prize! With the cold air coming, lets just hope I dont have to add to any of these numbers. The US average is 205 sunny days. Flint had an entire winter average temperature of 16.7 degrees. Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo What Do Contractors Say About the Performance of the Sno-Way Line of V-Box Spreaders? [1] By month [ edit] On average, there are 170 sunny days per year in Michigan. I wish I could have went up that far but I was just to busy this week with it being near Christmas and the travel time just wouldnt allow it, I missed out on some great video and photos I know, but maybe next time I can document it. Wehner, 2017: In: Kunkel, K.E., L. Ensor, M. Palecki, D. Explore more, impact less with Snoflo. Lets hope that the station updates a bit frequently once again. Thank you for subscribing to the FunintheUP Yooper Report and your support allows for these snow reports and videos to continue since 2011. FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Home | Privacy & Cookies | Contact | About. Snowfall is a big part of life in the Upper Peninsula and very memorable, we Yoopers love to talk about how much snow we get each winter. Become a Subscriber to the FunintheUP Substack page. It is unlikely 2022 will be able to climb any further than third snowiest. A warming trend means any incoming precipitation between now and the end of the calendar year will be rain. To watch his woods fill up with snow. Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo All rights reserved (About Us). The Flint area officially came in around six inches above. I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve and are ready to tackle your resolutions if thats your thing. Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Below you will find as usual the UP Snow Totals. Enjoy the show! Aviation Free Subscribers and Paid Subscribers can take advantage of 10% OFF any 1/2 day tour or 15% OFF any Full day tour with UpperPeninsulaTours in 2023. Id have to say 1976-1977 was generally the coldest with Detroit, Flint and Grand Rapids all having that winter as the coldest on record back to 1970. 52.8. for use in 2023 for 2 people. Yooper Steve on Instagram teleconnection patterns associated with severe and mild ice cover on the Great with a This winter, we expect an average lake-effect snow generation. snowpack depth of Subscribers to YooperReport will get 15% OFF a business listing. There are also some snow stations that used to report in previous years that haven't been reporting this year or haven't been consistent with updating. And we . Below you will find as usual the UP Snow Totals. Get listed today! Do you enjoy FunintheUP videos and seeing the Snowfall Totals all winter? Ill let you decide if you are a winner or loser in the snow game. Areas where wind was greatest in the Keweenaw probably prevented the snowfall totals from being higher as the winds really whipped around destroying the crystal structure of the snow as it falls and blows. I'd have to say 1976-1977 was generally the coldest with Detroit, Flint . My 6 snowfall stations that I handle arent to far off of last years snow totals some slightly higher and some slightly lower at this time last to last year. Most snowfall, season to date: Tamarack loc (Calumet) with 146.5 inches Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo In 2012, record-high March temperatures caused Michigans fruit trees to bloom early. Western UP and Keweenaw didnt see but an inch or two. Increases in precipitation are projected for Michigan, most likely during the winter and spring (Figure 5). So the winter of 2013-2014 was actually a very notable winter with respect to total seasonal snowfall across all of the southern half of Lower Michigan. Tools Environment. This chart shows the nature of all the winter storms over the past season in just 1 minute. Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com Become a monthly FunintheUP Fan Supporter Become a monthly FunintheUP Fan Supporter SELECT BOX EXAMPLES. Source: Snow Plow News Winter Weather News / Snow Research. Become a monthly FunintheUP Fan Supporter On average, there are 157 sunny days per year in Petoskey. Snow plow removal companies, Municipalities, Universities and others that fight snow can plan for the worst with this data. Cross country ski trails took a hit as well this last week, although today there was a little light snow to sit on top of that hard crust that made for some decent xc skiing considering how crusty it was just yesterday. Environmental Research Laboratory, Ann Arbor, MI. Michigan 24 hr New Snow Accumulation Analysis. Do you enjoy FunintheUP videos and seeing the Snowfall Totals all winter? Another 25 percent of years receive less than 7.3 inches for the month. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year. I hope that this week we get another burst of sunlight but it isn't looking good with 75%-100% sky cover and light snow flurries through the week. Yooper Steve on Facebook GIS Forecast Maps SuperYooperStore.com - U.P. Daily snow observations from GHCN stations are available using the pulldown menus below to select the state, month, and year of interest for either snowfall or snow depth data. Changes in seasonal and multiyear precipitation and increased evaporation rates due to rising temperatures can affect water levels in the Great Lakes, causing serious environmental and socioeconomic impacts. How do I keep bugs off my patio this spring? Do you enjoy FunintheUP videos and seeing the Snowfall Totals all winter? Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com For additional snow and winter records research you can check out the SPN snow records page. Low lake levels can affect the supply and quality of water, restrict shipping, and result in the loss of wetlands. Higher lake levels were generally noted in the late 19th century, the early 20th century, and the 1940s, 1950s, 1980s, and late 2010s. 27 degrees. Subscribers to YooperReport will get 15% OFF a business listing. Environmental Research Laboratory, Ann Arbor, MI, last modified June 9, 2021. 1978 also had some of the coldest entire winter average temperatures. 1951 saw 77.2 inches of snow by Dec. 31, placing it in second. 16" Weather Radio Skywarn, Office Activities Snow Depth. Yooper Steve on Instagram Some 21.6 inches fell, burying the prior Feb. 22 record of 7.5 set in . FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Become a Subscriber to the FunintheUP Substack page. high Hi : 82 . Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) Kunkel, A.N. Overall YTD snowfall totals are about a normal winter in most regions of the UP, it is just that we saw a few good storms early on in October and November that it has made it feel winter should be over already. His house is in the village though. e Our memory of the past winter can sometimes be judged by a strong beginning to the winter, a long & cold winter season or a massive snowstorm that tested all snow removal equipment at the end of the season. Also January and February are usually the months where hotels are usually booked with snowmobilers. Happy New Year! If you arent already a paid subscriber please consider subscribing, it allows me to continue providing the UP Snow Reports all winter long year after year. Temperatures in the 2000s have been higher than in any other historical period. Most snowfall today: Keweenaw cnty with 8 inches Thank you for subscribing to the FunintheUP Yooper Report and your support allows for these snow reports and videos to continue since 2011. What makes a bad winter, or if you are a winter-lover, a good Michigan winter? If you arent already a paid subscriber please consider subscribing, it allows me to continue providing the UP Snow Reports all winter long year after year. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. The numbers are for the total amount of snow and for how many days it snows at least 0.1 inches (0.25 centimetres). accessed June 8, 2021. Tomorrow I will be doing a LIVE Video on Facebook to draw 1 of 5 names entered into the FREE Full day Upper Peninsula Adventure Tour. Reduced winter ice cover from warmer temperatures also leaves shores vulnerable to erosion and flooding. Cover. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) Average temperatures and precipitation amounts for more than 168 cities in Michigan. Last year today however the ice coverage on Lake Superior grew to a quick 24.22% with the Great Lakes seeing 39.01% ice. Sault Ste Marie As we move northward, northern Lower usually gets its first inch of snow in the second week of November, and the Upper Peninsula brooms its first inch around Halloween. Similarly in January, fresh snowfall in the heaviest years amounts to over . Yooper Steve on Facebook The winters of 77-'78 and 78-'79 were also very cold. Technical Report NESDIS 142-3. Border chief warns against teens driving for cartels, Michael J. Snowpack levels across the state are currently 77% of normal. Climate of the Midwest U.S. NOAA Saginaw had the snowiest winter on record in 2007-2008 with 80 inches of snow. Access to these data supports the Federal Emergency Management Agency's need for near real-time . Your business could be here. Cross country skiing was fast this past week and with a fresh few inches was pretty enjoyable and classic tracks stayed setup pretty nice. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. Contact us to advertise to thousands each month. Google Maps. NTEA Appoints Dave Zelis to Board of Directors, The Innovation Behind Sno-Ways RVB Salt Spreaders. Parts of the Upper Peninsula receive more than 180 inches annually. FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Most Snowfall Feb 1st: Houghton cnty and Tamarack loc with 6.5 inches In Connecticut, ticks are showing up in greater numbers this year, according to Goudarz Molaei, a tick expert for the state. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. The Upper Peninsula had more snow than a normal winter. Daily Snow. Administration, National Centers for Environmental Information, Asheville, NC, FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Coop Observer The eastern UP and central UP areas are above average or at average snowfall so we shall see how they shape up this season. Warming has been concentrated in winter and spring, while summers have not warmed substantially, a feature characteristic of much of the Midwest. Become a monthly FunintheUP Fan Supporter Grand Rapids saw the second snowiest November on record and the fifth snowiest December on record. I found all other major cities across Lower Michigan reported below average amounts of snow totals this winter. This storm was good for all the winter sports enthusiasts, the ski hills have plenty of snow to open, the snowmobile trails have lots of snow to cover wet spots and rough areas, and those who love to snowshoe can hike amidst the snow covered trees. Subscribers to YooperReport will get 15% OFF a business listing. m In. Climate records by month Most snowfall, season to date: Tamarack loc (Calumet) with 174.9 inches The snow station Engadine Mdot will reappear on the next update, it appears after not updating the entire season they have loaded data from the start of winter, not sure why it hasnt been updated but it is now. Also all new subscribers (yearly) will get entered into (1) one FREE 1/2 day Guided UP Adventure Tour($198value) with UpperPeninsulaTours for 2 people. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration The driest multiyear periods were in the 1930s and early 1960s and the wettest in the early 1950s, early 1990s, and 2010s (Figure 2d). With system snowfalls the crystals are made of more rounds and needle flakes than beautiful dendrites that really stack up with lots of air between flakes. Most Snowfall Jan 25th: Big Bay (EagleMine) with 3.6 inches Now that everyone has dug out by now it is onward to some warmer temperatures for the remainder of the week. Multiyear averages for 2-inch extreme precipitation events for the 20102014 and 20152020 periods are the highest on record (Figure 3). If you dont you probably found it awful. The moderating effects are even more striking along the shores of the colder waters of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula. Best gifts for the graduate with travel plans, Mothers Day inspo: This foot massager has 20,000, Portage woman dies in Branch County crash, Where you can use expired Bed Bath & Beyond coupons, Some could see northern lights again: Heres where, 2 taken to hospital after Newaygo County crash. Every Husky has at least one great snow story, Marquette saw 1.36 inches of precipitation, blasting the old record from 2017: 0.38. Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo Enhanced Data Display Thanks for following the UP Snow Totals page on FunintheUP.com If you arent already a paid subscriber please consider subscribing, it allows me to continue providing the UP Snow Reports all winter long year after year. This January snowfall has been on the low side and there may be some snow stations that may be near or at a record low as January ends, we shall see. Yooper Steve on Instagram Do you enjoy FunintheUP videos and seeing the Snowfall Totals all winter? The snowfall totals are used by snowmobilers, news stations, emergency personnel, city officials, road crews, skiers, snowboarders, groomers, ski resorts. There are a lot of guesses for a snowy winter compared to last year with lake effect being a player which was nearly non-existant over the past three years. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. Thus, summer droughts, a natural part of Michigans climate, are likely to be more intense in the future. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Great Lakes Temperature [ edit] Overall [ edit] The state record low is 51 F (46 C), recorded at Vanderbilt on February 9, 1934, while the state record high is 112 F (44 C), recorded at Mio on July 13, 1936. average depth for this time of year. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Get listed today! The state is located at a high latitude and is affected by the polar jet stream, which brings cold Arctic air down from the north. Event Summaries, Weather Safety GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) Enough snow has fallen this winter season that 2022 will now go down as the third snowiest start to winter on record. Get listed today! Winds made measurements difficult especially on the 24th with the strongest winds we have seen all season. Deviation from average total season snowfall. Statewide annual precipitation has ranged from a low of 22.7 inches in 1930 to a high of 41.8 inches in 2019. Consider supporting FunintheUP via PayPal - via Venmo Just a light dusting of snowfall across most of the Upper Peninsula. Whats behind shortages of Adderall, other meds? Winter officially begins with the winter. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Yooper Steve on Instagram We are now entering into the coldest part of the year and with Lake Superior waters mostly open any cool winds and cold air will drop some serious lake effect snow. Most snowfall, season to date: Ironwood #2 with 67.1 inches The US average is 28 inches of snow per year. Please try another search. Blizzard of 2022: How did West Michigan stack up? FunintheUP on Instagram, Today's Notes: Also right in Houghton on Trail 3 at Kestner Park the bridge is out crossing the Huron Creek as some construction work is being done so you wont be able to get into Houghton right now on your sled without trailering it if you are coming from South Range. Biggest 24hr total this season: Ironwood #2 with 22 inches (11.17.22) Easterling, K.E. Michigan is located in the Great Lakes region of the United States, which is known for its cold winters and snowy weather. More snow has already fallen in Grand Rapids this season than the entire winters of 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.
When Will Otc Hearing Aids Be Available, Why Did Charlotte North Leave Duke, Articles M