By high school, Matt was still willing to drive Andrew to and from school, but their relationship was strained and Matt continued to avoid Andrew in public. The three boys enter the hole with Andrew doubting that they'll make it and telling them that they probably shouldn't go in, but Steve jumps in without listening to Andrew, and Matt soon follows after, with Andrew reluctantly going after them. It's a battle of the angsty, bullied, and abused, emotional, telekinetic teenagers. Steve tries to console an angry and embarrassed Andrew but is rejected and told to leave the room. Andrew's injuries do play a factor, but Matt wouldn't stand a chance against Andrew at any earlier point in the movie. I really hope this doesn't turn into a superhero type series, I really liked how dark this was giving the feeling that the use of their powers were neither good nor bad. He accuses Andrew of being selfish and spending what little money they have which his dad claims is for school and medical bills. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. rev2023.4.21.43403. The movie follows the definitions and theories of telekinesis. Matt positions the camera so it can have a good view of the temples from the mountain he was on, apologizing to Andrew about killing him as well as telling him how much he loved him before flying away, leaving Andrew's camera behind so it can keep recording the view Andrew would have loved. Andrew is arguably the strongest of the trio as he seems to practice his . Andrew learns it with ease while on the other hand, Matt can't get off the ground, eventually picking up the ability after several tries. Flight: As Andrew is able to move and direct all objects with his will, he can also move himself as well. Steve tells him he's been hanging out with Matt during the party and the two of them had discovered something interesting in the woods nearby. Andrew amazes his peers by disguising his powers as a magic routine for which he receives a lot of praise. This isn't who you are! Barely able to support the family, Richard Detmer quickly descended into alcoholism, ultimately leading to his frequent physical and emotional abuse of Andrew. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. Entrepreneur Andrew Yang calls for requiring all gun owners to "pass a federal background check, eliminating the gun show loophole. With the death of his beloved mother, the last vestiges of Andrew's sanity have completely shattered: heedless of the cameras trained on him, he flies over the hospital and attempts to drop Richard to his death. During one harrowing close call, Steve is knocked unconscious and is falling to his death when Andrew swoops in to grab him, saving his life. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Lewis symposium in Montreat, Douglas Gresham stepson of C. All policy, editorial and administrative decisions are under the direction of the editor in consultation with the Bishop's Office. In the film Chronicle, why do Matt and Steve get nosebleeds when Andrew strongly exerts his powers? I'm here with you! QGIS automatic fill of the attribute table by expression. In its pages, people both young and old who are on the rocky road to recovery tell their harrowing stories, current victories, and on-going struggles with the disease. Andrew is barely awake and is nearly comatose while Richard berates him and tells him everything he did to try to help was his fault. Matt crashes down a few minutes later. At the end of the movie, Matt goes to Tibet in honor of Andrew to learn to control his abilities, to achieve enlightenment. Angered by Andrew's response, his dad turns over the table between them and punches Andrew in the face, enraging Andrew and pushing him to fight back using his telekinesis to augment his physical strength. So that there were no reported hits is impossible according to physics. Floating objects can be hit but only when being like 1 centimeter above ground surface or something and the lightning has to be exponentially more powerful to make it happen. Andrew, look at yourself. Even if he did, that still doesn't mean it wasn't coincidental lightning (I'm not saying it was a coincidence; merely that Andrew saying those things could mean a number of things, and therefore isn't a convincing argument one way or another). Four Unnamed Bullies Killed by Andrews telepathic powers. A high school student imbued with telekinetic powers, his descent into villainy and destruction is the focus of much of the film. I can't help it.. . He says it "really means something" to him before displaying his powers by crushing an empty car. Where they see that Steve has gained the ability to fly and he teaches them how to do the same. When it made landfall, Andrew was a Category 5 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 165 mph and a minimum central pressure of 922 millibars. While the two are in an upstairs room, Steve comes up with Andrew's camera, which he took from Matt, to congratulate him, only to see a disgusted Monica rushing out of the bedroom with vomit on her clothing. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Prior to that, it was 23rd on that list. They really only showed telekinetic and some force field based powers, none of which I think can alter the weather. 1 What happened to Andrew at the end of Chronicle? Unbeknownst to him, however, a new facet of their powers has just been revealed: when one of the trio uses their powers in a state of extreme emotional distress, the others sense it and suffer a nosebleed in the process. When his mother's condition deteriorates, Andrew, using Richard's firefighting suit as a disguise, attempts to pay for her medicine through robbing people. Andrew, we can just fly away, we can get out of here. Thanks for contributing an answer to Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Who was the strongest in Chronicle? He apologized for it when he visited Steve's grave alone after the funeral. One of the best villains and movies ever in my opinion. I'm here with you! I believe all three had a telepathic bond with one another as their powers grew. What are the physical state of oxygen at room temperature? There are many rea - sons to do so, and want to share some of them here. Matt falls to the ground, tired and relieved. Soon though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as one of them embraces his darker side. Can I connect multiple USB 2.0 females to a MEAN WELL 5V 10A power supply? rev2023.4.21.43403. Andrew Dansby covers culture and entertainment, both local and national, for the Houston Chronicle. Andrew dies from Matt moving a metal rod from a statue with his mind. Andrew's temper increases and suddenly Steve gets struck by lightning and is instantly killed. In the film Chronicle, why do Matt and Steve get nosebleeds when Andrew strongly exerts his powers? Andrew was a funnier and more talkative Spider-Man, which is an important part of the character in the comics. In turn, Steve encourages him to become more confident, eventually getting to participate in a talent contest at school - even loaning him some of his clothes to that end: the contest is a success, and thanks to his use of his telekinesis on stage - passed off as magic tricks - Andrew becomes one of the popular kids at school. For this Versus match up I pit the damaged Apex Predator Andrew against the alien Supervillain Brandon to see which emerging Villain is deadlier.Twitter: htt. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. At the C. Update: Gov. February 1, This article is more than 2 years old. Chronicle(film) Wiki is a FANDOM TV Community. Shocked by his loss of control and the extent of his own power, Andrew leaves and flies up into the eye of a storm. A high school student imbued with telekinetic powers, his descent into villainy and destruction is the focus of much of the film. And it kinda seems that when Andrew got angrier the lightning flared up. Why does Andrews camera Act erratic in the Chronicle? Andrew Dansby covers culture and entertainment, both local and national, for the Houston Chronicle. Manage all your favorite fandoms in one place! Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Who is uncle Andrew in Chronicles of Narnia? Where they see that Steve has gained the ability to fly and he teaches them how to do the same. Perhaps you'd like to take the. Later at the hospital, on his bedside, his enraged father informs an unconscious Andrew that his mother has died, blaming him for it entirely. Im an Apex Predator. Andrew to Matt during their final confrontation. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Following the events of the party, Andrew feels embarrassed by what happened at the party and grows increasingly hostile towards those who have hurt him before. When he arrives, and sees Andrew floating outside the hospital building, holding his dad by the leg, dropping him a few moments later, Matt launched into the air and catches him. However, it quickly becomes a barrier of sorts between himself and things in his life he can't deal with, including the onslaught of bullies, his violent, alcoholic father, and the pain of witnessing his mother's deteriorating health. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Right when Andrew seems to lose his temper, it appears that lightning strikes, and next thing we know. Some time later, Andrew switches his camera back on to reveal that all three of them have escaped the cave unharmed. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Upon arrival, a distraught Richard explains to the seemingly unconscious Andrew that his mother is dead. He accuses Andrew of being selfish and spending what little money they have which his dad claims is for school and medical bills. Its winds of 165 mph at landfall only put it behind the Labor Day . Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. There exists an element in a group whose order is at most the number of conjugacy classes. The guy from Chronicle was flying around the tops of skyscrapers, hurling school buses and lamp posts around like it's nothing by the end of the film. At home, he was emotionally and physically abused by his alcoholic father, who was bitter about a firefighting injury that forced him into retirement, and his mother was dying from cancer. This is not a forum or a message board; instead we're looking for actual answers, preferably with references. How can people here doubt that Andrew killed him when Andrew himself admitted to it? In , The Jewish Chronicle asked why "Jews alone should be excluded from the 'sympathizing heart' of this great author and powerful friend of the oppressed. A high school student imbued with telekinetic powers, his descent into villainy and destruction is the focus of much of the film. Andrew's camera breaks and shorts out, and based on the footage, the three of them are ejected from the cavern. It also appears that Andrew's first camera was lost in the event, as the trio later return to the hole in the ground only to find it has caved in and Steve comments that Andrew's camera was still in there. Andrew killed Steve, willfully and with forethought. Andrew on his computer before his father comes in and beats him out of his chair. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. They don't exactly make the instantaneous choice to become heroic pillars of justice, however, and instead use their powers for random pranks and goofing around, as teen boys do. You know -- when he was all "I miss you, I'm sorry, I wish I could take it back" etc. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. At home, he is bullied by his abusive and alcoholic father, who is bitter about a firefighting injury that forced him into retirement, and . Andrew has written for The Atlantic, Vice, SF Weekly, the San Francisco Chronicle, McSweeney's, The Bold Italic, Drowned in Sound and many other places. The film closes with Matt leaving the camera trained on the tranquil mountain monastery, hoping that Andrew has finally found the peace he'd been searching for. What happened to Andrew in Chronicle? After the amazing new discovery, they all make a promise to go traveling around the world after graduation, with Andrew suggesting they go to Tibet first, since it's so peaceful and has a tranquil nature. Matt was referring to where Steve's body was found, not where Steve and Andy had their argument. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. because andrew drained some of their power thats why in the end matt got his finger shot off because he didnt have enough energy to stop it and andrew is stronger because of he had his camera when they got there powers. I love this movie and I only wish we got a proper sequel from the original director Josh Trank. After the two of them wind up in a city plaza next to a statue, an enraged Andrew unleashes his rage at random, sending cars flying in all directions and shattering windows all over the entire plaza with a scream of agony. I believe Andrew then made the lightning strike Steve, leaving Steve lying in the middle of a field. You left me alone! However, though Andrew is clearly the stronger of the two, his injuries from the failed robbery and the sedatives he was administered at the hospital quickly even the odds in Matt's favor. Andrew angrily retorts that he goes to public school and his father doesn't pay for that. I may be wrong about all of this, but I found it too compelling a theory not to share. Andrew Detmer was the anti-heroic protagonist of the 2012 film Chronicle. He compares his powers to an Apex Predator, which is an animal or being on top of the food chain or above everyone else in rank. Matt notes that there were no reported strikes on the ground, so he assumed that Steve was in the air when it happened, most likely talking to Andrew. Where did the crystalline object come from in Chronicle? Uncle Andrew Ketterley was the uncle of Digory Kirke as well as a self-proclaimed magician. Andrew is shown early on to be the strongest, Steve follows him as the second strongest, then there's Matt, who struggles more than the others with gaining powers. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. The police surround him but he gets up and flies away, leaving behind his girlfriend, family, and Andrew's body. Throughout the fight, Matt tries desperately to calm Andrew down to no avail. This is a place for fans of various creative works to share theories, interpretations and speculation related to that particular creative work. Andrew amazes his peers by disguising his powers as a magic routine for which he receives a lot of praise. The book uses Greene's diary to chronicle his and his three companions' lives. Makes for a good psychological thriller.. Why are players required to record the moves in World Championship Classical games? When Matt tries to force an explanation, Andrew simply flies away. As a child, Andrew was very close with his cousin Matt Garetty, but Matt eventually succumbed to peer pressure and cut ties with Andrew to avoid the social stigmas that had already begun to follow his quiet, withdrawn cousin. With the death of the only friend who cared about him, and the humiliation he endured at the party becoming public knowledge at school, the once-again unpopular Andrew becomes deeply embittered and begins to abuse his powers, dismembering a spider and later ripping the teeth out from his bully, Wayne. As his powers, rage and mental instability increased, it became more apparent he would eventually kill the other two because they could potentially challenge him. Unexpected uint64 behaviour 0xFFFF'FFFF'FFFF'FFFF - 1 = 0? Steve tries to console an angry and embarrassed Andrew but is told to leave the room and "get out". I'm done! What are the advantages of running a power tool on 240 V vs 120 V? However, they soon discover that the gifts they have been granted may be drawing out their darker and more dangerous sides Angry at being taunted by a fellow student, Andrew Detmer retaliates by telekinetically ripping three of Wayne's teeth out - and showing them off to his camera. Andrew killed Steve, willfully and with forethought. After killing Steve, I believe Andrew thought he was the most dangerous and strongest living creature on Earth, then taking his anger out on everyone else, anger due to the hard life he suffered with his mother suffering a terrible illness and his Dad abusing him horribly. Andrew agrees. So Matt, while I think not as physically as strong as Steve or emotionally strong as Andrew, is the intellectual, making him not learn as easily, although figuring out more abilities than the others. As a previous reviewer noted, Andrew Repasky McElhinney shot this in a way that feels as if the great Renaissance artists were able to string their works into cinema. One evening, Andrew tags along with Matt to a barn party; as nobody seems interested in socializing with him, he carries on filming, only to be attacked by an angry boyfriend after accidentally filming one of the dancing girls. At Steve's funeral, Matt confronts Andrew about Steve's death, and how suspicious the circumstances were, which Andrew denies. We can stop this right now, you and me. . Matt: Andrew, you're not alone up here. As Karens condition worsens, Andrew becomes increasingly withdrawn and aggressive. As Irma bears down on Florida, many are recalling the destruction wrought by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. After a series of committing a series of practical jokes on some store patrons, and moving a woman's car in a parking lot while she's shopping, Andrew later goes too far when he attempts to stop a car but ends up knocking a hostile driver off the road because he was tailgating the boys. I enjoyed the Chronicle is such an awesome movie, here's why. Being unmotivated teenagers, none of them use their power for anything more than pranks and private amusements - most of which are harmless for the most part. Now proclaiming himself an apex predator, Andrew slams a bus into him, tackles him through the ceilings of various buildings, and sends the two of them violently ricocheting off buildings. Andrew learns it with ease while on the other hand, Matt can't get off the ground, eventually picking up the ability after several tries. What happens to atoms during chemical reaction? Andrew with Steve drinking smoothies at the top of a building. Why are players required to record the moves in World Championship Classical games? Unfortunately, this doesn't really answer the question. (In the book no one knew what he had done; Jessica & Chandi figured it out a week or so later, with him in a coma.) Andrew "Andy" Detmer is the main protagonist turned main antagonist of the 2012 found-footage science fiction action drama film Chronicle. I don't remember him saying "I wish I could take it back". As they refined their powers through training, Andrew himself slowly became corrupted as his life declined. That doesn't make it flawed; it makes it different. In The Magicians Nephew. Later that evening, Andrew is approached by a classmate name Monica , who takes him upstairs to "get to know him". Over the years, Dane DeHaan has become known for portraying many characters that have suffered violent emotional breakdowns, Andrew included. Steve eventually becomes Andrew's closest friend, becoming one of the few people capable of getting him to open up to his problems at home. It is also the reason why those big clomps of metal (planes) never get struck by lightning, even when flying thru a storm. Angered by Andrew's response, his dad turns over the table between them and punches Andrew in the face, enraging Andrew and pushing him to fight back using his telekinesis to augment his physical strength. Pretty self sufficient but not really a damage powerhouse i thought she would be. Andrew, we can just fly away, we can get out of here. You do not need to be on or near the ground to be struck. It's also stated early in the film that Andrew wants to go to Tibet at some point because he likes the culture and the idea that the monks have achieved such a deep state of enlightenment that they can float. This compels Matt to establish a set of rules, which limits their use of abilities, that they need to follow including: "no using it on living things, no using it when they're angry, and no longer using their abilities in public". So I don't think that Andrew caused the lightning to hit him, but he definitely did let his body fall to the earth (it's not guaranteed that the lightning strike killed him). They throw around an old baseball and Andrew is the first to demonstrate any signs of powers by floating the baseball in the air. Who can better use their rage to power their abilities in this fight to the death? Eventually, his father finds out about the party and discovers the camera Andrew has been using. He'd previously spent five years in book publishing, working with George R. How was his cousin alive, why was he alive- "Andrew.. Why was this happening suddenly? Andrew can be seen laying on the ground, burning and twitching in agony. DeHaan plays Andrew, a angsty teen whose mother is dying and whose father takes out his violent frustrations out on the boy. Written by Max Landis. Eventually, his father discovers the camera Andrew has been using in his room one day, still recording Andrew's empty room. Matt makes jokes about impressing the monks, but Steve agrees almost immediately. With Andrew's camera documenting, they playfully experiment by throwing and repelling softballs back, building Lego structures to dramatic music themes, skipping rocks in impossible patterns, and testing their capacity for forcefields by attacking each other with forks. Here you will find unforgettable moments, scenes and lines from all your favorite films. All three discovered a strange crystalline structure in a cavern during a party in the wilderness, which imbued them all with psychokinesis. Andrew: I need to go and pick up my mom's medication! Pulling pranks.Hanging out with his friends.Obsessively filming his life. At Steve's funeral, Matt confronts Andrew about what happened, and is shocked and disgusted to realize that he's still filming everything. When Steve was asking him to calm down and chill, Andrew builds his anger, telling Steve, "Leave me alone!". Like waaaaay more powerful than crushing buildings and such.. Written by Max Landis. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Andrew goes to a junkyard, talking only to his camera about what he has been reading about natural selection and predators and prey. By the start of the film, Andrew is a loner and an outcast, socially isolated and regularly bullied at school, on the streets, and at home. Hancock shoved a guy's head up someone's ass. The three bond over their newfound abilities, with Andrew clearly leading the pack in terms of control and strength. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Soon after, Andrew begins unleashing his power in public, using telekinesis to rip several teeth from Wayne's mouth. The three of them discuss flying around the world together, with Andrew wanting to go Tibet for its peaceful scenery. Nervous and extremely drunk, Andrew only ends up vomiting in the middle of the act, leaving him once again shamed and publicly humiliated. because andrew drained some of their power thats why in the end matt got his finger shot off because he didnt have enough energy to stop it and andrew is stronger because of he had his camera when they got there powers Share Improve this answer Follow answered Jan 14, 2013 at 20:13 user11934 1 Add a comment Highly active question. Andrew? Otherwise, it woudn't work. With training in a monastery that focused training on tranquility and peace of mind like Matt sought out, the potential level could potentially be greater than what Andrew had achieved in his rage.
Serta Copper Pillow Washing Instructions, When Harry Met Sally Conflict, Reve D'un Ane Islam, What Does Borderline Blood Test Results Mean, Articles C